A lie is a lie, regardless whether it is white, black, yellow, orange or whatever. Some people lie to get out of an uncomfortable situation. Some lie because they do not want others to know their true self. Some lie because they want to gain prestige and importance. Some lie to save one's own skin from persecution or danger. Others lie for some other reason or another. There are even people who are habitual liars, making them undependable for court and for other important matters.
If we have:
- Lied to oneself and to others, in one form or another
- Injured the good name of others
- Slandered others
- Committed character assassination of others through our words for one's personal gain or for some other reason
- Committed detraction (derogatory or damaging comment on a person's character or reputation)
- Told tales, made rash judgment, commited backbiting, uttered contemptuous speech
- Not kept secrets
Are we wise and discerning enough to hold our tongue and be truthful at all times, even if the truth may hurt? Are we able to say what is necessary and when necessary, instead of trying to please others and make them happy? Jesus reminded us: "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” Are we dependent on Jesus who has come to free us with the truth?